July 17, 2012

On silence

Silence is wonderful. We all need it once in a while. But what is silence to me? Silence is a relief to the noise. As an introvert, it means recharging myself, getting ready for the next onslaught of people and noise and words. Sometimes I lay in the LaZboy, and stare into space with the silence. Then I feel like punching something everytime a car goes by and interrupts my peace.

The interesting thing about silence is that it doesn't have to be complete. There are all colors of silence. There's black, and that's the silent padding of cat's feet. There's navy blue, and that's the peace of a seashore. There's white, which is unpleasant. But it's when there's a constant noise, it's the space in between. Like a metronome. That noise is gray, but the space between is white.

Right now I pause my music, and listen to the keyboard. The clicking of the keys is quiet. It's silver. Almost grey, but more pleasant. The sound of my fingers tapping out these words is a kind of silence in its own. Wind is silver as well. But when it howls, it's fuchsia. Then it's not silence anymore. Fuchsia is a noise color.

Anyways, off of colors. Silence is a great thing once in while. So turn off the music, close all the windows, and spare a moment or two to listen to the silver silence in between your breaths. What color is it for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment